[AZ-Observing] Re: Mars Polar Cap

  • From: Jeff Hopkins <phxjeff@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 09:18:30 -0700

>Well, I made it out of bed at 2am again this morning.  Seeing was 5/10 in
>the 5" refractor measured on a mag 4 star near Mars (persistent Airy disc at
>207x with flickering first diffraction ring).  The S Polar cap was less
>detailed (edge smoother and more regular but dark collar still visible) than
>my last view a couple of days ago probably due to the poorer seeing but
>strangely the planetary surface detail was improved.  Using Grafton's image
>(http://www.ghg.net/egrafton/m8-01-03.jpg) posted earlier by Tom P as a
>reference, I was able to see all of the detail in the "red" image with ease,
>of course that view has rotated somewhat in the past 2 days.  These great
>views were not constant but momentary when the air settled for a few seconds
>at a time.  I saw more consistent detail using 207x but the best images were
>at 288x when those moments of clarity popped into view.
>
>I don't have enough experience to be sure but it seems that seeing
>conditions are better after midnight here in FH.  I usually observe from
>dusk until maybe 10pm, leave the scope outside and come back out around 4am.
>Seeing is generally best right as it gets dark during the hot months and
>again just as it gets light.  But I may have been missing the best hot
>weather seeing based on my last 2 Mars sessions from about 2am - 4am.
>
>Regards
>
>Bill Wood
>Fountain Hills, AZ

I tried viewing mars Monday AM with my C-8. Seeing was very poor on
the west side of Phoenix.

I set up my refractor last night to view mars this morning (Tuesday),
but overslept. Even at 2-3 AM it's miserable out (high humid and
hot). I look forward to the cool fall.

I missed last weekend in the mountains as I did not bring my
telescope because the weather was to be cloudy and thunderstorms.
Saturday night was beautiful. I got up around 3 and Mars was
brilliant - no telescope.

I think the seeing may vary greatly in the Phoenix area. Fountain
Hills may be just far enough away that seeing may be better there or
at least sometimes.

I plan to try again tomorrow. I truly think, however, the best
viewing of Mars will be this fall (even though it will be going away
and getting smaller).

Jeff

--
                                           Jeff Hopkins