[AZ-Observing] Mars Polar Cap

  • From: Tom Polakis <polakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2003 12:00:02 -0700

We are heading into a dry period, so be sure to take a look at the South
Polar Cap of Mars in the next week.  Even in sort of shaky seeing this
morning, it is hardly a smooth arc any more, showing several
irregularities.  That dark collar is completely gone.  Ed Grafton has been
concentrating on it in his images.  Here's one with about the same central
meridian as we get at 3 a.m. these days:

http://www.ghg.net/egrafton/m8-01-03.jpg

Most of the polar cap detail shown in his images is visible at 350x in my
10-inch.  The visual view resembles his "Red" image when seeing steadies out.

Tom

---

Tom Polakis
Tempe, AZ