[AZ-Observing] Re: Mars Is Not "Too Bright"

  • From: "Jones, Jack (AZ75)" <jack.jones@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 09:36:33 -0700

I wonder if that's what it mostly is then. When an aperture mask is used on
a large telescope the view is usually improved because on par large mirrors
are just not that great. Cutting off the edge and bad parts of the mirror
would give a surprising improvement, esp. on planets. At star parties you
continually hear from light bucket owners 'well the seeing isn't that great
right now'. It's amazing how quickly the seeing improves in the time it
takes to walk to another telescope.

Jack