[AZ-Observing] Mars: 13 August (09:15 UT)

  • From: BillFerris@xxxxxxx
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 06:35:50 EDT

Northern Arizona enjoyed decent seeing, this morning, as Mars transited in=20
tandem with a fat waning Moon.

I observed the 24".2 disk at 388X with my 10-inch, f/4.5 Starfinder=20
equatorial. The 23A filtered view proved sharpest. Syrtis Major, Hellas, Mar=
e Tyrrhenum=20
and Iapygia Viridis hugged the following limb. Mare Cimmerium, Hesperia and=20
Tritonis Sinus were prominent along the central meridian (238=BA). Mare Aust=
rale=20
could be seen bordering the South polar region, with Mare Chronium also=20
visible along the preceding limb.

80A and ND filtered views revealed a white haze obscuring Utopia along the=20
northern limb opposite and just following the South polar region. I'd first=20=
read=20
about these northern limb clouds in a Tom Polakis report a few days ago but=20
had not seen them, myself, until just this morning. Albedo features seen=20
immediately to the south included Aetheria, Chaos and Hyblaeus Extension.

I'll post a link to my sketch as soon as the page is put up on my website.

Regards,

Bill Ferris
"Cosmic Voyage: The Online Resource for Amateur Astronomers"