[AZ-Observing] Re: - Mailing tip - Need help ASAP on SB1218!!!

  • From: "Stanley A. Gorodenski" <stan_gorodenski@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 08:18:33 -0800

I have been told in the past with respect to past involvement with the
legislators, that a physical letter carries more weight than an email. This is
not to say that we should send letters instead of emails. But I think a
legislator would place more weight in a more personalized email that begins
with a 'Dear Senator Giffords', for example, rather than one in which he/she is
just part of a huge list of  email addresses of all Senators. I know from
personal experience, that a lot of legislators personally read all the email
they get. Of course time is of the essence and you will do what you feel best.
However, it is a simple matter (although more time consuming than sending an
impersonal message to all Senators) to make your message more personal.  Simply
go to ALIS (the web address I posted yesterday). There you can get a list of
all Senate members (as well as House members) with their email addresses. It is
then a simple matter of clicking on each address, beginning with the
appropriate personalized salutation, copying the body of the text you will send
to everyone, and then send it.  These are just my perspective on the subject.

It is probably too late to send any kind of message this morning since the bill
is scheduled to be read before the Committee of the Whole today (usually in the
afternoon or at night). If it passes COW it will go to the House. Then there
will be plenty of time to compose a more personalized message which I think
will be received better by a legislator than a shotgun approach. I would not
suggest sending the entire 60 House members a message right off. The best thing
is to first target the individual committee members of the committees the bill
will be assigned to, and to appear before the committees to make your case. You
have that right.

Stan