[AZ-Observing] Machholz [was: Leonid Peak]

  • From: "Tom Polakis" <tpolakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "Reply-To:az-observing"@freelists.org
  • Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 12:09:23 -0700

> We did manage to see comet Macholz at about 1 am...

I was reading the article in SACNEWS about the discovery by Don Machholz
last night.  He discovered that comet while sweeping with an RV-6 that he
received for Christmas in 1968!  Imagine sweeping for comets with an
equatorially mounted telescope.  I think his success was attributed to the
late-August date, when the robotic telescopes of the Southwest are shut
out by clouds while Machholz enjoys clear skies in the Sierra foothills.

Don's last discovery was ten years ago.  He has comet hunted for at least
an hour every month since he began in 1971 (I think that was the year).

Tom