[AZ-Observing] Re: MSW inverters

  • From: gene lucas <geneluca@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 14:08:40 -0700

Hi Dan,
I believe the little clock motors in the older synchronous motor drives
can be successfully operated from just about any of the small DC to AC
power inverters.  No need for one of the monster capacity ones, either.
One of the small 50 watt units designed to plug into your cigarette
lighter should work.
Although those small inverters don't typically output pure sine wave AC,
the issue is mainly the >frequency< of the AC.  That is, whether or not
the unit is adjusted to give exactly 60 Hz output.  Now, most of those
older telescope clock drives will run at a >solar< rate from "wall
current", that is, exactly 60 Hz.  The older separate drive inverters
had controls to change the frequency appropriately to give an exact
 >sidereal< rate, by adjusting the output frequency to a bit less than
60 Hz.
So IF you were electronically enabled (or know someone who is), it is
possible to go inside the power inverter and make an adjustment for that
-- (voiding the warranty on the inverter, of course).  Then the clock
drive could be operated at sidearal rate.
The non- pure sine wave AC will result in a bit of extra "heat" from the
clock drive motor, (should not be any problem, as the clock motor only
draws a couple of watts of electricity), and the exact 60 Hz output from
the inverter will mean that the telescope will track a bit fast, that
is, at a rate exact for the sun instead of the stars.  For visual
observing, this should not be a problem.

For reference, I have "reverse-engineered" my old Orion drive inverter
(I re-packaged it many years ago) -- the circuit is pretty simple, and
 >>could<< be duplicated pretty easily at moderate cost by an
electronics tech.  (In fact, that unit does NOT put out a "pure sine
wave" -- rather, pretty much a square wave AC, and operates synchronous
clock drives just fine.)  Also, there are several web pages that show
circuits for such units, some more involved than others.  For instance,
look at Dr. Michael Covington's web pages on his modern "ALCOR" inverter
design:
http://www.ai.uga.edu/~mc/alcor/alcor.pdf

Cheers,

Gene Lucas