[AZ-Observing] Re: MM date limits (again)

  • From: AJ Crayon <acrayon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 19:50:23 -0700

Tom, funny you should mention this topic - last night I took a much
closer look at M30s elevation at twilight.  Actually it is about 1/2 deg
above the horizon at the 5:07am MST time given for astronomical twilight.

Why did you pick the sun at -10 deg?  Is this from experience or a gut
feeling?  Could it be from some actual calculations that balance M30's
magnitude and sky brightness.  One would also have to factor in not only
the mountains, but the elevation of the site plus sky glow from Tucson
lights.

Actually the site Gerry Rattley used in 1985 was down Dugas Rd, about
five miles north of Cordes Junction and at that time had a very good
eastern horizon - much better than the rock quarry of today.

As far as the 1996 feat - I remember it quite well.  There were several
of us trying to see M30, including David Fredericksen who called to me
to come see it in his telescope.  I didn't go for two reasons, one it
was 200' away and I was trying to see it in my 8" but never did.  Never
the less many of us had a chuckle over the incident.

Finally, while I don't think one can say M30 can't be seen, it will take
a lot of luck and depends on not just the above mentioned factors but
also on instrument, experience and the fatigue factor.