[AZ-Observing] Re: M82 - Enhanced Hydrogen Comparison

  • From: Brian Skiff <bas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 12:22:11 -0700 (MST)

>>  I wonder what the history of the Hoag quasars are?

     I don't know specifically, but probably these are from various
tests that Art Hoag did in the 1970s using a 'grism' on the Kitt Peak
3.8-m telescope.  (This was a thin prism with grating grooves
etched on one side.)  He did several fields looking for quasars
and blue stars.  The 'Hoag xx' names aren't official ones, but
probably assigned in the M82 region by the Burbidges, who got
spectra to determine redshifts for the quasar candidates.
     If you want to pursue this, use Chris' image in combination
with some on-line image source that gives you coordinates, and then
look them up by position in NED (http://nedwww.ipac.caltech.edu),
which will give you a bibliography and various data.  I did this
for 'Hoag 1' a couple days ago (sorry, didn't keep the coordinates).
This region is also covered by the Sloan survey, the complete version
of which is now accessible the Strasbourg VizieR catalogue looker-upper.
This shows good photometry etc in several bands for the quasar
(it's a bit brighter than Chris quoted from old data).

\Brian