[AZ-Observing] Re: M81-M82 w/ SN2014J

  • From: Jeff <phxjeff@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2014 11:28:54 -0700

Thanks Tim,
But that is not science. That is still just picture taking. Yes any digital
image is made up of data and there are other associated data along with it. If
the image is a .fits and the equipment has been setup properly then data other
than the actual image is in the header.

I guess my point was when someone says they have astronomical data I assume
they mean data of scientific value as opposed to something that is just
aesthetically pleasing. What Darren presented is certainly a very nice picture,
but then I can get that or better online or even in one of several books I
have. And yes, Darren's efforts are most likely much better than what I could
do taking pretty pictures. BTW, Darren did ask for comments, questions,
suggestions and criticisms.

Of what scientific value is a pretty picture? We can indeed do real science,
but it must go beyond just taking images. Some amateurs with very modest
equipment have followed several SN and provided significant science type data
and have received recognition for such.

It is possible, if you are very lucky, to image something and be the first to
see a SN. Reporting that can be important and a great ego boost. But in
reality, someone would catch it sooner or later anyway. There are many
professional and amateur sky surveys going on every night. If you want to make
a real contribution, follow a new SN doing photometry or spectroscopy. Yes, it
is more work, but also orders of magnitude more satisfying than talking pretty
pictures.

Jeff
Hopkins Phoenix Observatory
(187283)