[AZ-Observing] Re: M81-M82 w/ SN2014J

  • From: Jeff <phxjeff@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 May 2014 19:25:55 -0700

Hi Darren,
While a nice image, there is no data.

Other than identifying a SN the data would photometric and a light curve of its
progress. And/or you could do low-resolution spectroscopy of the SN over time
and help classify it and see changes. Both these techniques can be done wiht a
modest telescope. You would need a monochrome camera, however.

Taking pretty pictures can be fun and rewarding, but very little science can be
gleaned from the images. If you really want to produce something of value
"data."  look into spectroscopy or photometry.

Jeff
Hopkins Phoenix Observatory
(187283)
Counting Photons