[AZ-Observing] Re: M74 in Zodiacal light?!

  • From: "Jack Jones" <spicastar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 21:53:13 -0700

Nothing wrong with checking out the course before the run. It's a good
idea to have your stratagem down to get to that particular starfield
pattern. The sky can look very unfamiliar under the starting pressure of
the race. One year I had great difficulty finding M74 in the 14.5" and
Gerry Rattley was right there and he couldn't find it either! That
really 'rattled' me (#!) and it took a while for me to calm down after I
missed that one and a couple others because of it. Make sure you have
everything ready well in advance of start and take a few deep breaths,
becoming placid as you can, and you should roll right along. The other
bugaboo will be in the morning finding M72 and 73, if only because you
underestimate their difficulty, taking them for granted. A stratagem is
necessary there too.

Jack Jones
Saguaro Astronomy Club
Public Events