[AZ-Observing] Re: M101 for the month of May

  • From: "Jimmy Ray" <jimmy_ray@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 06:57:41 -0700

This article answers most of what I was looking for as far as the amount of
and effect of intergalactic dust on our ability to decern actual brightness,
distance, and color of objects at great distances:

"ISO proves that intergalactic space is dusty" - 1997
http://www.iso.esac.esa.int/outreach/esa_pr/in9737.htm

Aside from our our observing and imaging the universe throught a slightly
"dirty window pane", Galaxies appear to be quite the little dust producers.
Maybe burning hydrogen (followed by Helium, etc. etc.) isn't any cleaner
than us with fossil fuels...

Anyway, thanks Chris for a very stimulating image and comment...

Jimmy Ray