[AZ-Observing] Re: Lowell Clark refractor preview

  • From: Brian Skiff <bas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 May 2015 16:13:48 -0700

On Sun, 2015-05-17 at 11:24 -0700, stevecoe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I wonder how many other 120 year old telescopes are still up and working
around the world? Lick, Yerkes, Naval Observatory and Harvard are all I
can think of. Fascinating that so many of them would be Clark
refractors. I know that there are some British telescopes that are in
that age group.

There are a lot of late-19th Century instruments
in continental Europe, but I don't know their status
or whether they've been refurbished. Some well-known
ones include the Meudon 83cm, Potsdam 80cm + 50cm
(which surprisingly did not get bombed to smithereens,
unlike the rest of the observatory), and the 77cm Nice
telescope.
There's a Wikipedia page on the large refractors:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_optical_refracting_telescopes

...where the Lowell Clark comes somewhere in the middle.

\Brian