[AZ-Observing] Re: Lovejoy

  • From: Dan Heim <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, az-astroimaging@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2015 12:56:08 -0700

Nice shot Albert. You did indeed get some nice tail. I find that if I
occult the comet with my hand (not sure why that makes it easier on a
display) I can trace two streams of the tail almost to the edge of the
field. Or is that just my imagination? I found Lovejoy for the first
time last night using 10x80 binocs. Even at culmination, all I could
make out was a faint and diffuse coma. But then, from New River, that's
right over Phoenix. It was about 20 degrees above the main light dome,
but I'm sure the glow still cost me some contrast. -Dan Heim