[AZ-Observing] Re: Looking for some Opinions...

  • From: Tim Jones <tjmac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 15:34:43 -0700

David,

Your thinking is sound - you’ll never see visually what the camera picks up -
even in a 60 sec shot - using the same equipment.

However, you shouldn’t assume that because you can’t see the object in a single
1, or even 5 minute frame that it’s not there.  I’ve taken a batch of 25 or so
1 minute shots and stacked them in software and the results were amazing.
Things like M57 or the Pelican - among many others, are usually meager sights
in a single frame.  however, if you take 20 of those frames and stack them in
an app like Nebulosity or Registax (among others), the results will totally
surprise you.

Also, by reducing the time per frame and then stacking the frames, you really
reduce to probability of smeared images or oval stars.  It can also help with
the automatic removal of airplanes, satellites, meteors, and even light
pollution.

The next time you shoot, keep your frames at 5 minutes, but shoot 20 of them on
the same target.  Once stacked, I believe that you will be duly impressed with
the difference in your results.

If you’re not sure about stacking, check out this tutorial:

        http://www.instructables.com/id/Astrophotography-Star-Photo-Stacking/

Good luck!
Tim