[AZ-Observing] London trip

  • From: Jeffmight@xxxxxxx
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, evac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 12:04:50 EDT

I was in London last week on vacation and even with clear skies on Friday
and Saturday the only astronomical objects visible from Kensington was Jupiter
and Venus. And Jupiter only faintly. The glare from all the hotel lights were
blinding. There were a few interesting astronomy related items in the Natural
 History and Science museums, but the highlight of the trip was the Royal
Observatory Greenwich. I of course straddled the prime meridian and got my
photo
 but surprisingly they do not allow photography inside the museum. Too bad
too, a  lot of great things in there. A museum guide told me that most of the
clock  section of the museum will be closed down soon for renovations and that
would  leave only the observation dome open until the renovations are complete.
The 28  inch refractor in the observation dome was quite a sight but my guess
is the  "Gold's Gym" bar bell counterweights at the focuser end of the scope
are not  original equipment. The terrorist attacks on Thursday closed down
many  attractions for 2 days but nothing slows down the Britons for long.  Jeff