[AZ-Observing] Light shields, full-cutoff lights, etc

  • From: John Teel <jcteel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 20:50:05 -0700 (PDT)

Can someone tell me where I might find a full-cutoff light shield
that can be used with a standard outside "porch" light?  Do they make
such a thing or do I have to replace the entire fixture?  Being a
member of the IDA I looked on their website but only saw a reference
to a light shield for a dusk-to-dawn light.  I have three outside
lights that use incadescent bulbs that I would like to shield.  Of
course, I never leave these lights on for a false sense of security
but I would like to shield them when they are used.

I also have a new neighbor that leaves his light on all the time so
if he isn't willing to keep the light off (I plan to talk to him
soon) then I want have to have some other options (I'm willing to pay
for the light shields for him to use).  Unfortuneately, he also has
dogs (in fact, 4 constantly barking dogs- but that's another story)
so I don't think that a motion detector light would do much good.  My
basic plan is to be very nice to this new neighbor since I would like
to have dark and QUIET skies and this won't be possible without his
support.

As for the light shields I'm looking for a place in Tucson that sells
them.  Does Home Depot sell these light shields?

Thanks,
John T

messages.  Thanks.