[AZ-Observing] Leonids Report from Vekol

  • From: "Jack Jones" <spicastar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "AZ Observing List" <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 00:16:40 -0700

Actually, there is nothing to report! I saw, like 4? I saw one fireball but
that was at 9pm right when I arrrived. After that nothing except maybe 4 or
5 with several sporadics.

BUT that meant I could spend time impressing several EVAC newbie prospects
who showed up (Leonids were announced on the EVAC website) with my new 20x80
binos (the ones that made it rain last week?). So it wasn't a total loss for
the newbies, or me either for that matter, with trans/seeing at 8/6. I ran
Messier objects for them til I was bleuww in the face and the 20x80s picked
them all up (these binos are Orion Megaviews), even the smaller ones like
M57 and M76. Just had to re-learn what to look for at 20x on the small
objects.

Large objects like M35 and Stock 2 were fantastic. M35 had a trail of faint
9-11 mag OCs trailing off of it to the W: NGC 2158, IC 2157, and NGC 2129. A
much different perspective on the sky with a 3.5 deg field than a 1 deg
telescope field, and I like open clusters in Cass a whole lot better now.
I've always liked Vekol, and like it better than Flatiron since the lgt dome
is to the NNE instead of to the E.  Plus Union 76 gas in Maricopa is only
$1.42.

It was fun going out on a weeknight and getting in a good 4 hrs observing,
and I prob would have stayed up til midnight anyway. I forgot how dark it
really gets out there and only a 75 minute drive away.

Jack Jones
Saguaro Astronomy Club
Public Events
Phoenix AZ