[AZ-Observing] Re: Leonids Outing

  • From: Chris Crawford <chriscrawford@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 09:19:36 -0800

As many of you know, I have been recruiting people for my Leonid filaments
experiment. My site is quite remote from just about everything, and I have
not obtained a full load of observers. Worse, the medium-range weather
predictions show some cloudiness in the northwest corner of Arizona, not far
from my site. There seems to be a possibility that I will be clouded out, a
risk I am not willing to take. I am therefore considering relocating to one
of your two sites (Vekol or Kofa). However, I have two concerns. If I do
this, I will need to take over a chunk of space about 60 feet in diameter,
and observers who do not wish to participate will likely want to be some
distance away, as I shall have a grid of overhead LEDs at a height of seven
feet. So I am obviously rather reluctant to barge in on other people's
party. The other consideration is that I would like to recruit a few
observers on-site. So the questions I put to the readership here are:

1. If I do show up and put up my circus, is there enough usable space that
other people wouldn't feel crowded?

2. If I do show up at one of these two sites, will anybody there be willing
to participate in the experiment?

Thanks,

Chris

---