[AZ-Observing] Leonids Outing

  • From: "Jack Jones" <spicastar@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "SAC Board" <sac-board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,"SAC LIST" <SAC-Announce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,"Marjory Williams" <margewms@xxxxxxxxxxx>,"stanlep" <stanlep@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,"jtpest" <jtpest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,"SAC AZ List" <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,"Mitch Stanley" <mstanley11@xxxxxxxx>,<john.stanley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,"George Olds" <grolds@xxxxxxxxxxx>,"David Garza" <locodave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,"Susan Pritchard" <spritchard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,"pandbbailey" <pandbbailey@xxxxxxxxx>,"jack_jones" <jack.jones@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,"J Jones-H" <spicastar@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 19:17:56 -0700

Greetings, Stargazers!
Here are two sites we will be observing from for the Leonid Metoor Shower. The
Vekol site is about 75 miles from my house and the Kofa site is just over 100
miles. Vekol is closer and more populous and established as a Star Party site,
and Kofa is further but a little darker and somewhat untried and unfamiliar.
It's your choice!

VEKOL SITE:
Take I-10 south and exit onto Maricopa Road. Continue through the town of
Maricopa to SR 84, about 25 miles from I-10. Turn right on SR 84, after about 5
miles the road merges with I-8. Continue west and exit I-8 at Vekol Roadâ??Exit
144. Turn left and cross the highway overpass. Before looping back onto I-8
take the dirt road to the left. Go south for 2 miles. At the Vekol Ranch sign
bear right and continue south for another mile until reaching a large, open
area on the left.

KOFA SITE:
Drive West out I-10 to the Vicksburg Rd. Exit.  That is exit 45, which means it
is about 100 miles from central Phoenix.  Turn left (south) for 5 miles on a
good, graded dirt road.  After five miles you will see a fence and a cattle
guard with a sign that says you are enterring the KOFA wilderness.  BEFORE you
cross the cattle guard, take a right (west) which is just a jeep trail that is
used to keep the fence repaired.  After about 300 yards off the dirt road is a
large open area where 25 vehicles and people can set up with plenty of room.
There is also some overflow area on the other side of the road.

Jack Jones
President - SAC
Spicastar@xxxxxxx
602-944-5488