[AZ-Observing] Lens Less Imaging

  • From: DAVID SHAFER <davidgshafer@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Arizona Observing <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 09:18:37 -0700

I came upon this in one of my classes from research done by a student.  This
has been developed by an optical researcher at UCLA.   The technology is known
as "Lensless Ultra-wide-field Cell monitoring Array platform based on Shadow
imaging" (LUCAS).  The process uses an imaging chip and analyzes the
diffraction pattern of the cells in the image.  They have produced a cell phone
that can image a blood sample and do cell counts.  The interesting thing for
astronomy may be the analytical algorithims that are being used on the image.
It is a the very least a fascinating technology.  The website below is a news
release on the technology for UCLA.

http://newsroom.ucla.edu/portal/ucla/cell-phone-prototype-of-lensless-77054.aspx

David Shafer