[AZ-Observing] Last night at Antennas

  • From: stevecoe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: SMTP <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2014 20:55:39 -0700

Howdy all;

Jerry and I had a very fun night at the Antennas last night, the clouds
were generally along the horizon and we observed a wide variety of
objects in Jerry's 5 inch refractor.  Some good detail on Jupiter and
the moon, a variety of bright deep sky objects and a couple of carbon
stars.

I experimented with setting the camera to ISO 3200 and doing some shots
from a tripod with no tracking.  I had torn down my mount when the rain
threatened and did not set it up for just this night.  Anyway, the
images were OK but not great.  Lots of noise even with the noise filter
in the camera set to ON.  I may try 1600 in the future.  I generally set
the camera to 800 speed for all the images you have seen at the club
meeting.  I may show a couple of them at the meeting as part of my show
and tell, just so you can see what I mean.

I look forward to seeing you at the SAC meeting or at the Messier
Marathon.

Steve Coe