[AZ-Observing] Re: Laptop screens

  • From: Peter Argenziano <pargenz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 14:12:43 -0700

I got a sheet of a dark red acrylic (9" x 12" x 3 mm thick) from Century
Plastics in Phoenix for $5. They are located off 16 St, south of I-10
(around the Salt River bed).
If your astro software does have a red display mode, ensure that makes
all components red. Some leave certain screen elements unchanged.
Depending on the quarry, I sometimes find that even with a red-filtered
and manually dimmed display the screen is still just too bright. Of
course YMMV.

Peter

Alan wrote:

Does your astro software have a dim red display mode?

Kerry wrote:

Does anyone know of a local place (preferably east valley) that makes red
acrylic laptop screens?  The only other one I've found is on-line from Ideal
Astronomy - it's a reasonable price, but I've never known anyone with that
brand, so I don't know if it's dark enough.  My laptop does have a brightness
adjustment.