[AZ-Observing] Re: LapTop

  • From: "Jon Christensen" <jonc97@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 11:25:45 -0700

Nearly 2 1/2 years ago I bought about the cheapest Compaq laptop I could
find to use with my CCD camera and control my telescope.  I run Software
Bisque's 'CCDSoft' to run my camera and 'The Sky' software to run my mount
simultaneously and I've never had a problem.  In my case, 'The Sky' uses a
serial port to control my telescope.  The camera uses a USB port.

I imagine your Meade cameras will need USB ports.  A serial port would be
nice to have.  I know USB to Serial adapters are available inexpensively.  I
wonder if the newest lap tops are doing away with serial ports as my most
recent desktop computer did not come with one.

When I purchased my computer the salesman recommended I get one with some
kind of 'mobile' processor as they use less energy.  I would check if
laptops with larger screens use more energy as well as that may become an
issue out in the field.  I always power my laptop and camera with a 12 volt
75 Amp Hour battery connected to an inverter, and I've never run out of
juice running everything all night.

Why would you need to install Windows 2000 as the OS?   Most new laptops
come preinstalled with XP and that is probably good enough for anything you
would want to do.

You would only get a couple of hours out of the onboard battery of a laptop
so I think an external battery is a must.

Bottom line, based on my experience I would buy the cheapest laptop with a
mobile processor and plan on using an external battery with an inverter.

Hope this helps,

Jon Christensen