[AZ-Observing] LCROSS and Cabeus

  • From: Mark Wainright <mwainright@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 23:06:06 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

The Cabeus impact area is easy enough to find.  Just scoped it out in my 4"
Mak.  There's a mountain on the limb right behind it.  I'm including a link to
a pdf that I found useful.  It shows the expected plume area and some
visualizations for California and New Mexico.  I guess we'll have to visualize
in between.  :-)

http://www.nasa.gov/pdf/391705main_LCROSS_Target_Update_100209.pdf

I have a 10" hand push dob and an 8" SCT with a drive.  The Moon is going to be
high and south at about 82 degrees altitude for the impact.  There's no way I'm
gonna hand push a dob at high mag and that much altitude, so I'm going with 8"
and drive.

What is everyone else going to try to see or video this with?

Clear skies,
Mark