[AZ-Observing] Re: KPNO telescope for sale

  • From: <jimmy_ray@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2014 16:52:29 -0700

Hi Brian,

You are correct, it is not only a workhorse but a fine instrument. When we were
up there a small group from University of Indiana was doing some science on the
instrument and at the time they felt they may be the last to use it. Part of
our group was over working on the Coude Spectrograph is also part of that
complex though is now stand alone.

Our science was taking place over on the McMath-Pierce which is also at risk of
being mothballed or scraped, which would be heartbreaking as well. In the case
of the McMath, there are hopes of repurposing the instrument for use in
measuring close binaries using speckle interferometry.  It does appear that
there might be some success there as we were able to hit within 0.002 of some
known values during the engineering run. The real science should take place
sometime in October, where if successful should open up some new avenues of use
for that instrument and those like it.

Stay tuned,

Jimmy Ray