[AZ-Observing] KOFA

  • From: "Jack Jones" <Telescoper@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "AZ Observing List" <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 22:46:43 -0700

KOFA (Kind of Far Away) turned out to be a nice no-hassle trip, with Derek
Poertner, son Jack, Matt Luttinen, and myself in attendance. The Phx light
dome is but a blip on the horizon and the Milky Way is effortless from horizon
to horizon promptly by end of twilight. My GPS gives coordinates 33d 30' 36"N
and 113d 46' 1.4"W (120 mi trip from north-north Phoenix) and doesn't match up
with CSClock coords for this area south of the Pipeline intersection. This is
a National Wildlife Refuge, so we measured off 100 ft from the road with a
tape measure so we wouldn't get a ticket, and found a large fire ring was just
inside the 100ft mark. The place was totally deserted the whole time we were
there (dusk til 1 am). Not a single car all night even tho we saw signs for a
special event at the exit (45). Although the KOFA handy brochures say "all
public access, use or recreational activity, unless specifically authorized,
is prohibited", popular pursuits are allowed, including "wildlife observation,
photography, interpretation, and education". I would suppose stargazing would
fall under the first two and green lasers under the second.

Jack Jones
Public Events Coordinator
Saguaro Astronomy Club
Phoenix AZ