[AZ-Observing] Just me at Antennas

  • From: stevecoe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: SMTP <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 16:26:34 -0600

Howdy all;

Well, nine vehicles pulled out today and I am left alone under dark
Arizona skies.  It has been my best observing run ever.  I arrived here
on March 1 and here it is March 12th.  I might even stay one more night
if the weather stays clear, we shall see.  A big thanks to all the fun
folks who showed up and were happy to enjoy the time chatting, observing
and imaging.  I have no doubt there will be lots of images to show at
the SAC meeting.

Mr. President, put me on the list of "show-er off-ers".

I had mentioned that my vision is failing and I am going around the sky
one last time visually.  The 16" scope has been working quite well after
some repairs in the field, thanks Doug.  I still need to take the
focuser to the ATM meeting and see if we can get it a little smoother.
Anyway, I have been doing the Messier and Best of the NGC lists and now
that Spring is coming there is plenty to do for the next several New
Moons.

Three of the nights have been 7 out of 10 for transparency and last
night was an 8, if you were far above the horizon.  I saw the
gegenschein just south of Leo and could point it out to several people.
We weathered a storm for two days and nights and observed for the rest.

We saw this little, faint comet last night.  It was not much with the
dust over the distant hills.  I was glad to hear the reports that other
folks did better.  I will put the 200mm lens on the camera and see if I
can get a shot tonight.

Clear skies to us all;
Steve Coe