[AZ-Observing] Jupiter last night

  • From: "Paul Lind" <pulind@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 08:47:47 -0700

I wonder if others noticed that seeing in Phoenix was very good last night?  I
was testing a new drive motor on my Schaefer mount and used my old 6" f/16
Cassegrain to obtain high power.  From about 10 pm till 11:30 pm Jupiter was
rock steady and showed a lot of detail at 200x.  I then rolled out the 14" Dob
and it was even better, especially with green and blue filters.  At around 10
pm the south equatorial belt was divided into two distinct strips across most
of the disk, with structure visible in between.  Later, the strips began to
merge as Jupiter rotated.  The north equatorial belt and north and south
temperate belts were clear.  By about 11: 25 when Europa emerged from shadow
all four bright moons showed disks, but the seeing was deteriorating.  This was
the type of seeing that's very steady without those fleeting moments of
"super-seeing".
-Paul Lind