[AZ-Observing] Re: Jupiter and Venus converging

  • From: "Wayne (aka Mr. Galaxy)" <mrgalaxy@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 16:42:29 GMT

15480 Empire Rd.
Benson, AZ 85602
hm ph: 520-586-2244
Also, tonight (20-21 Nov) watch for a nice conjunction between Saturn and the
Moon.
We did some interesting imaging through the 20-in R-C at Patterson Obs on the
UA South's campus in Sierra Vista, AZ, of various galaxies and star clusters,
but probably the most interesting image was that of Uranus with its retinue of
about 3 moons lying in a straight line rather than looking down the system
pole-on as I've done in the past.

Clear skies,
Wayne (aka Mr. Galaxy)

-- Joe Orman <joe.orman@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Each evening this month I've been watching the beautiful sight of Jupiter and
Venus getting closer to each other.  Be sure to look on the evenings on
November 30 and December 1, when they'll appear only a couple of degrees apart
-- and will be joined by the crescent moon!

Sky maps from spaceweather.com:
http://spaceweather.com/images2008/30nov08/skymap_30nov08.gif
http://spaceweather.com/images2008/01dec08/skymap_01dec08.gif

Entry from my Sky Almanac:
December 1 (evening): Venus 4 degrees to lower right of crescent Moon
(occultation for Europe, Africa), in SW after sunset. Jupiter 2 degrees to
upper right of Venus.
http://joeorman.shutterace.com/Almanac2008.html

--Joe Orman