[AZ-Observing] Re: Jupiter and Callisto

  • From: Victor Herrero <hubbleed@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Enriquez, Miguel" <Miguel.Enriquez@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 06:22:26 -0700

Hello Tom
Beautiful image !
Please let me know of any other wonderful images you have taken recently,
that show Io in close proximity to Jupiter.

Io is a volcanic satellite powered by Jupiter's tidal forces.
It generates a plasma torus that surrounds its orbit and plows through it
all the time.

A consequence of this is that Io is capable of accelerating energetic
electrons towards Jupiter and they produce radio waves.

We do not fully understand the mechanism of Cyclotron Maser radiation
(Cyclotron Maser Instability) that generates them.

As we write, the Juno Observatory launched last month is traveling towards
Jupiter (flying by the Earth first to gain energy). It will observe in
detail the Jovian magnetosphere and hopefully travel through some of the
Masers that cause the radiation, starting in 2016.

Please see my 6 posts about the Juno Mission for more details and links:
http://herrero-radio-astronomy.blogspot.com/search/label/Juno

Clear skies
73
Victor