[AZ-Observing] Re: Jupiter With Only One Moon Visible Tuesday Night

  • From: Tom Polakis <tpolakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 22:20:45 -0400

Picked up Jupiter with Callisto only, well away from the disc, about 15 minutes
after sunset.  Ten minutes later, Ganymede slowly emerged from behind the north
half of the disc.

I still can't see Europa in front of the planet.  No one notices the contrast
of white on white.  The shadow event for Europa will begin in 20 minutes, just
as Europa gets ready to depart from in front of Jupiter.  We should be able to
see Europa then, thanks to contrast against the darker limb.

Tom