[AZ-Observing] Re: Jupiter In Decent Seeing Last Night

  • From: Stan Gorodenski <stanlep@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 09 Aug 2009 22:48:43 -0700

Tom,
I was on a trip for the past week and got back yesterday. I had looked
at Jupiter before then for the comet impact without any success. Your
message prompted me to look at it tonight. I was able to see the impact
tonight. I assume it is the impact because the dark streak was not
parallel with the bands and near the pole.
Stan

Tom Polakis wrote:

>August 8 and the dewpoint is 21F.  Better get out there!
>
>For a couple hours, the seeing consisted of very large and slow-moving waves,
>which make the stars twinkle a lot, but can actually be "looked through" to
>see planetary detail.  Since all of the Jovian moons were in tight, I took a
>couple images two hours apart.  The first one shows the Great Red Spot on the
>meridian, with Europa to the left and Callisto to the right.  Ganymede is
>behind the planet.  It is rare to have the two outermost moons so close to
>Jupiter
>
>http://www.pbase.com/polakis/image/115890693
>
>In the second image, Europa is casting the shadow, and Io has moved in to join
>Callisto.  The remains of the impact are apparent near the south pole.
>
>http://www.pbase.com/polakis/image/115890707
>
>Tom
>
>--

"If people knew how hard I had to work to gain my
 mastery, it would not seem so wonderful at all" - Michelangelo