[AZ-Observing] Re: Jupiter In Decent Seeing Last Night

  • From: "Wayne (aka Mr. Galaxy)" <mrgalaxy@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2009 22:45:26 GMT

15480 Empire Rd.
Benson, AZ 85602
hm ph: 520-586-2244
Hi Tom,
Nice images of Jupiter, looks like your seeing was better than last week. Is
the impact area fading? I got home from Tucson (led a tour for the HAC group of
the Mirror Lab, LPL's meteorite lab, and the closed Flandrau Planetarium) late,
but it was clear enough to glimpse Jupiter for about an hour around 10pm AZ
local time.
I apparently started too late to see the Great Red Spot, but I saw two moon
shadows, similar to what you showed in your second image, but couldn't see the
moons responsible superimposed on the planet. They must have been the ones on
either side of the planet.
If the impact site was supposed to be visible at that time, I did not see it,
though it's been very obvious the past few times I've observed it.

Clear skies,
Wayne (aka Mr. Galaxy)