[AZ-Observing] Re: Jupiter & Ganymede In Good Seeing

  • From: Tom Polakis <tpolakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 18:35:25 -0500

Lynn,

I am guessing that detail would have been visible to a patient observer, but
looking at the moving target of Ganymede's disc at >500x just produces a
headache in my case.  Frank Kraljic has been known to use his 10-inch Spooner
scope at 1000x to do such observations.  He has seen detail on Ganymede, but he
hasn't reached the level of seeing the volcanic plumes on Io yet.

Tom