[AZ-Observing] Re: Jupiter Events

  • From: PHXJeff@xxxxxxx
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, wmrwood@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 22:29:19 EDT

>For folks who like Jupiter's moon events, tonight may be pretty neat.  As
>soon as it starts to get dark (actually starting about 6:45pm local time) Io
>and Calisto will be transiting the planet's globe and they will merge about
>8:20pm while still in transit at which time Io's shadow will also be
>visible.  Don't know if I will be able to see the 2 moons themselves.
>Later, about 11:10pm Io and Europa will merge well off the planet and about
>12:15am tomorrow morning Calisto and Europa will come very close together,
>about 1 arc sec also well off the planet.  Around 4:11am Calisto's shadow
>will appear.  The GRS will also transit starting around 1:20am.

Thanks for the heads up.

I just checked with my C-8 (7:00 PM). I can see a black dot between the
bands about in the middle of the planet. Very nice. The atmosphere here
from the middle of Phoenix is not very steady, but at moments it's
crystal. I'm going to try my 4" refractor next. I'm curious if the
smaller apeture will make a difference.

Thanks again.

Jeff

                          Jeff Hopkins
                            HPO SOFT
    Phoenix, Arizona                      Atlanta, Georgia
  7812 West Clayton Drive               12170 Boxwood Circle
Phoenix, AZ 85033-2439 U.S.A.        Alpharetta, GA 30005 U.S.A.
   (623) 849-5889 (Fax)               (770) 619-3322 (Phone/Fax)

www.hposoft.com & amug.org/~hposoft    dataman.home.mindspring.com
                        4th Dimension Developer
                        FileMaker Pro Expert

   BASIC/C++ Programmer & Web Site/e-commerce Site Development
Over 25 years of Computer, Programming and Database Development Experience