[AZ-Observing] Re: June 2014 observing report from the North Rim

  • From: Brian Skiff <bas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2014 18:17:58 -0700

On Sun, 2014-08-03 at 00:33 +0000, L Knauth wrote:

> I must say that watching the galactic core and surroundings rotate across the
> southern sky and sink behind tall pines at that site is one of lifes great
> experiences.
> ...  Being alone with all that has a special meaning and ambience that are
> consolation for not having anyone else to share the view.  After midnight the
> thing seems to just blaze away like the aggregate cosmic furnace it is.....
> You think something screaming so loudly should have a sound.

     ...hmm, something approaching the sound might be
Steve Roach's "Infinite Shore", on his "The Magnificent Void"
album of fairly loud ambient music:

http://steveroach.com/Music/discography.php?albumID=28

> NGC 4143:  Very small elongated galaxy with unusually high surface
> brightness.  Cant find any info on this striking galaxy that is so bright for
> being so small.    Something special is going on here, but I guess it hasnt
> been studied yet.  Or maybe it has.

     Some details can be found in NED:

http://ned.ipac.caltech.edu

     With total V magnitude of 10.7 and mean surface
brightness of muV = 12.9 per square arcminute, this is
indeed one of the top 200 or so brightest galaxies
in the entire sky.  Chris Luginbuhl saw some curious
structure in it with a 12-inch Cassegrainian back in
the 1970s when we were preparing our observing handbook,
and his description is recorded there.  It seemed the
position-angle of the isophotes twisted as one goes from
the core to the halo regions.  Looks like a nice and
smooth SAB(s)0o lenticular in the SDSS images, however.

\Brian