[AZ-Observing] January 2012 observing report from the Antennas site

  • From: L Knauth <Knauth@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 11:53:52 -0700

I joined the group at the Antennas last Thursday night and had a great time
observing with the 25” until clouds rolled in around 11 pm.  The blue sky
Friday morning looked like it was behind gauze. The Clear Sky Clocks looked
butt-ugly through Saturday night, so I packed up, spent some time telling lies
with Ken Naiff, Steve Coe, and Mike Wiles, and then drove home.  I think Lynn
Blackburn was still there sacked out somewhere.

So, it was a lot of effort for a few hours of observing.  Most memorable was
NGC 750.  I was surprised to see 2 tiny discrete glowing blobs and figured this
had to be a pair of colliding galaxies. I see today it is called the “dumbbell
galaxy” together with NGC 751.  Both are ellipticals, which is apparently
unusual for colliders. No dumbbell through the 25”; it was 2 separate galaxies
for sure.

I was really affected by the sight of this object and got put into a reverie.
I was here witness to an eerily silent cataclysm of cosmic proportions
unfolding at an inconceivably great distance with nothing between it and my
soul.  Here in the tranquility of the dark-sky Arizona desert I was getting a
freeze-frame of an upheaval that started long before humans appeared and will
continue on long after we are gone.  A time interval where a freeze-frame is
longer than the ice ages. I think I was so moved because a palpable sense of
the immense time over which the universe evolves combined here simultaneously
with the usual appreciation of the great distances that cause these blazing
island universes to be such tiny little objects.  It became a human encounter
with the vastnesses of both time and space that cannot be otherwise
experienced. This alone was worth the whole trip cut short by clouds.

This lifelong passion to experience the universe with human eyes is lots of
work, time-consuming, and expensive.  It is regularly frustrated by clouds,
wind, turbulent atmosphere, fatigue, shoddy build quality of commercial
telescopes, and relentless pressures to do other things more tangibly
productive. But even brief encounters like this one continue to make it all
deeply meaningful and worthwhile.  I'm already longing for the next New Moon.
I know many of you feel exactly the same way.

Videmus Stellae!!

Paul Knauth