[AZ-Observing] It's official : the Leonids Storm!

  • From: "Bill Peters" <afls@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2001 08:08:42 -0700

We're exhausted, but we still had a top hour meteor count from 3-4:00 a.m.
of 1387 meteors at Vekol Road south of Phoenix, AZ!  The half hour record
from 3-3:30 was 752 averaging over 1500 per hour!  This was a true storm.  A
meteor storm is officially considered a zenithal rate exceeding 1000 per
hour.  There was a definite peak during this hour with a steep rise prior in
the 2:00 a.m hour from 617 and a steep drop in the 5:00 a.m hour to 818.
The skies were terrible with high clouds all night obscurring  roughly 40%
of the sky, thining to 20% during the 3:00 hour before thickening after 4:00
a.m.

A full and more precise record will follow when I'm more awake.

Bill Peters (480) 813-4242

---
with the subject: unsubscribe.

messages.  Thanks.