[AZ-Observing] Re: Io eclipses Europa at 9:41

  • From: "Spencer, Darrell" <DSpencer@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 07:27:30 -0700

Yup, I was already out and happened upon the impending event.

As to the seeing, I had my 10" reflector out.  Very distracting atmospheric
movement.  I put the 10 away in favor of a 45 year old 3" f15 achro.   Better,
but still tough going.  I'd have gone inside altogether if not for the
satellite dance.

Darrell

From: Wayne (aka Mr. Galaxy) <mrgalaxy@xxxxxxxx>
To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tuesday, September 22, 2009, 11:09 PM

15480 Empire Rd.
Benson, AZ 85602
hm ph: 520-586-2244
Mark,
Not to steal your thunder, but where are your predictions coming from? I wish I
had known about the earlier transit, not that the seeing would have allowed me
to see it tonight. Thanks!

Clear skies,
Wayne (aka Mr. Galaxy)

From: Mark Wainright <mwainright@xxxxxxxxx>
To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tuesday, September 22, 2009, 10:25 PM

Hi Tom,

I would say I saw blobs in the minutes leading up to the occultation, but as
the occultation began the seeing improved.  During the occultation I could see
the elongated blob slim down to a single round disk.  Then the disk
re-elongated.  About 8 minutes after the occultation ended I could clearly see
separation and the moons were showing as disks most of the time.  I'm using a
4" Mak at 160x.  I'm over here in Chandler.

Mark