[AZ-Observing] Interesting object last night...

  • From: "David M. Douglass" <dmdouglass@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2015 08:33:06 -0700

So. I like galaxies. Big ones, little ones, all different sizes, shapes, and
combinations of them.
And when you get a couple galaxies in the same FOV, that is sort of neat, at
least to me.
And over the past week or so, there have been a couple really interesting
FOV's which I have tried to share with you.

I am currently working on observing/imaging the ARP series of "Peculiar
Galaxies".
In 1966, Halton "Chip" Arp published his list of 338 of the most bizarrely
shaped galaxies and galaxy associations.

Last night, one of my targets was ARP 324. The "normal" other ID in this
case is different.
This object carries ID's of UGC 10143 Chain, and VV 159 Galaxy Chain. There
are, of course, lots of individual ID's as well.
The "chain" is sort of unique. I enjoyed looking at it, and studying the
interaction of the galaxies. So, I thought I would share this one too.

http://www.az-dahut.net/Obs-Log-Sheets/PGC-056782-04182015.jpg

As you look at this image, note all the little "fuzzies", spread all over
the image.
No... I was NOT "out of focus".... those are all little tiny galaxies. A
few hundred of them.
They are mostly small PGC galaxies, which can all be IDed with a normal
"plate solve".
What a field !!

David M. Douglass
dmdouglass@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (secondary)