[AZ-Observing] Initial report from the All Arizona Messier Marathon

  • From: "Rick Tejera" <saguaroastro@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2008 10:53:02 -0700

Well I Arrived about 1430 to find Jimmy packing up to go home with a broken
scope and a broken heart. Honestly, the first time I seen him with a long
face. At least it sounds like his insurance will cover the damage once he
gets some confirmation of what happened. Also glad to hear that Steve Coe
will be okay after his injury at the antennas site. That's one of the
reasons for my inviolate "No observing alone unless it's in the backyard"
rule.

Anyway back to the AAMM. As usual by the time I arrived there were several
groups set up all over the field. After providing Andrew, Wes & Ken with
some entertainment trying to pitch my tent in the wind, Andrew & I headed
out to meet the masses and hand out the Checklist & Waiver for those who
needed them. Andrew counted at this time about 40 folks. BY the time we got
back to my car many more had arrived.

I began the twilight talk in AJ Stead, at 1800 and counted about 80 folks.
Not counting those who did not attend the talk and those who arrived later,
My best guess is we topped 100 attendees. As you'd expect PHX & TUS had the
largest showing, along with several folks from California, One gent from
Portland OR and our Amigos from Hermosillo, Mexico. I didn't get a chance to
meet them last year as I did not attend, but made up for that with a  most
pleasurable conversation this year. The furthest traveled this year were
some folks who ventured here from Saginaw, MI.

The wind did indeed die down after sunset, although a fairly noticeable
breeze did make itself know at points through out the night. There were some
high clouds to the north and over Tucson, which as you'd imagine help
emphasize the skyglows from those two cities.

I did not marathon, but set out to work on some H400's that need taking care
of. I didn't get very far as I think my secondary is badly out of alignment
in rotation. I just could not get a good collimation, so I just mingled and
took in the big picture. Hit the hay about 0130. I was woken about 0500 by
folks bringing their Marathon check off to me. By the time I left the field
I had collected 45 checklists. Steve Dodder stayed behind to collect any
stragglers. We think there may have one or two more that I didn't collect. A
quick glance when I got home and it look like the top three score were 109,
108 & 107, Yes, someone saw M77. Many observers said they picked up several
of the traditional evening objects in the morning as they were hidden by
some low lying clouds in the evening.

As I collected the checklists, I made sure to ask if a good time was had and
was please to hear nothing but "Yeses" and many thank to SAC for hosting a
great event.

I'd be remiss if I didn't pass on a very big thank you to Claude Haynes and
the East Valley Astronomy Club, for their generous offer to host a snack
table. This was at no charge to SAC or those who partook, although Donations
were accepted. All those proceeds are destined to the Robert Burnham Jr.
Memorial Fund, a truly worthy cause.

Thanks to AJ Crayon & Jack Jones for all their hard work organizing the
event. My participation was easy thanks to their efforts. Too bad they
couldn't enjoy the fruits of their labors.

I'll let AJ tally up the Checklists and post an "Official" report once
complete.

Now to take my wife to the airport and catch up on my beauty sleep.

Clear Skies
Rick Tejera
President
Editor SACnews