[AZ-Observing] Inaugural Star Party

  • From: "Fran" <mcqz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "EVAC" <evac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 15:25:23 -0700

Many thanks to all of you for your insights and encouragement.  We are
having our  first star party in Winslow this evening.  I spent the winter
doing some scouting for a location that was close enough to attract
non-astronomers, yet dark enough to make it enjoyable.  We will be meeting
at the Homolovi State Park parking lot.  It is only about 15 minutes from
downtown Winslow ;> but thanks to our rural nature it is quite dark.

We expect to have several small telescopes, a couple pair of binoculars, as
well as our Sky Scout with powered speakers.  I'm also bringing along a
couple of sky charts, folding chairs, and red flashlights to encourage naked
eye observation.  At this point nobody has a digital camera hooked up, so
we're not ready to do the large-scale sharing on a laptop, but that will
come.

My wife is packing some snacks and beverages.  Any further suggestions for a
first shot?

Thanks,
Fran McHugh
Winslow, AZ