[AZ-Observing] Re: Imaging all of the Messier Objects at the Antenna Site

  • From: Dan Heim <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2011 15:44:45 -0700

Howard: Nice going on the MM. Can't wait to see the shots on your website.

Puzzled about one comment ... you say you will modify the software to
take atmospheric refraction into account. No doubt there's a
mathematical model out there somewhere that gives you refraction angle
vs. elevation. But wouldn't changes in temperature, pressure, and
humidity also have an impact? I guess what I don't know (lacking the
model) is whether these other factors would be "second order" to
elevation, and not significantly affect the model's predictions. If so,
you'd need to be adjusting your model maybe several times a night.
What's your take on this? Other readers have any insights? Can (has)
this been done?

Dan