[AZ-Observing] Re: Images of Occultation of Venus

  • From: Tom Polakis <tpolakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 22:25:49 -0400

---- "Wayne  (aka Mr. Galaxy)" <mrgalaxy@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> One effect that occurred to me to try and see was a Venusian green flash as
> the last remnants of its disk disappeared behind the moon. Comments as to why
> or why not the phenomenon should or should not have been expected would be
> appreciated...

Wayne,

The presence of an atmosphere on Venus is irrelevant, since it's the object in
back.  The thing that does the refracting of the light has to be in the
foreground for the phenomenon to occur.  Note that the crescent of Venus
doesn't flatten as it passes over the limb of the moon, either.  By the way,
the video was shot with a monochrome camera.

Now I have to admit that the first thing that came to my (and Jenn's) mind when
we watched Venus pass over the moon's horizon was, "what, no green flash?!?"

Tom