[AZ-Observing] Re: Image of Two Space Stations Transiting the Sun

  • From: <kevin.kozel@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 23:27:41 -0400

You're Good, Tom. Real Good!
KK
---- Tom Polakis <tpolakis@xxxxxxx> wrote:

=============
Every month I look at the CalSky Web site for upcoming transits of the sun and
moon by the International Space Station.  In the past year, I have gone after
Tiangong, the much smaller Chinese space station.  After three miserable
failures in which I recorded nothing, I gave it another try earlier this
afternoon.

CalSky indicated that there would be ISS and Tiangong transits of the sun
spaced only a half hour apart.  Better yet, the two paths would intersect a
half hour drive away, near the Cardinals football stadium.  Jenn and I took a
drive out to the Park and Ride at the 101 and Glendale, and were pleased to not
be visited by the authorities for suspicious behavior so close to the highway.

The scope is a TV101 refractor, using a ZWO ASI120MM camera at 30 frames per
second.  This image is a multiple exposure of both space station transits.

http://www.pbase.com/polakis/image/157364940

Tiangong is initially difficult to pick up.  Its path begins at the 4:30 clock
position, and exits at 9:30.

Animated GIFs of both passes (each one 17 Mb) are here:

http://www.pbase.com/polakis/image/157364896
http://www.pbase.com/polakis/image/157364921

Tom