[AZ-Observing] Re: Image of Space Station Crossing The Moon

  • From: "Keith Schlottman" <keith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 May 2010 11:16:11 -0700

Nice work Tom, Randy, and Jenn!
Keith Schlottman

-----Original Message-----
From: az-observing-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:az-observing-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Tom Polakis
Sent: Sunday, May 02, 2010 10:42 AM
To: evac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx; AZ-Observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [AZ-Observing] Image of Space Station Crossing The Moon

At the convenient hour of 3:00 this morning, Randy Peterson, Jenn, and I were
set up in a parking lot near Falcon Field in Mesa to record the International
Space Station transiting the moon.  Other than the ISS being quite distant (408
miles), circumstances of this event were pretty good.  In both other cases of
recording lunar transits, the ISS was illuminated, and much brighter than the
moon.  This morning's event had the ISS in shadow, presenting a silhouette
against the moon.

Randy set up his 12" LX-200 and video recording equipment that he uses for
asteroid occultation work.  Our equipment consisted of a 70mm Pronto refractor
an Imaging Source monochrome digital video camera designed for planetary
imaging.  Within a couple seconds of the assigned time, we recorded the event
successfully.  Here's a multiple exposure of the shadow crossing the moon at a
1/60 second interval between frames.

http://www.pbase.com/polakis/image/124139000

Tom