[AZ-Observing] Re: ISS and Hubble passes

  • From: "Wes Edens" <edensw@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 19:03:39 -0700

Andrew Goodwin, KE7DNT, pointed out to me the other day that the American =
astronaut, Bill McArthur, has been very active on ham radio.  If the =
astronauts are talking to hams, you can listen in.  Even if you're not a =
ham, people have heard the ISS on scanners--and of course, overhead passes =
are the best.

The 2 meter downlink frequency (ISS to hams) is 145.800
The 2 meter uplink (if you're a ham and want to transmit) is 144.490.

Bill, the American astronaut, has been operating UHF on 437.550, using the =
station's call sign, NA1SS.

Most radios can't adjust in steps below 5 KHz.  This means you're stuck =
with the VHF frequencies (145.800 and 144.490) but you can make some 5 KHz =
adjustments that will help with the Doppler effect if you're listening on =
UHF.   You can usually program your scanner or ham radio for these.  There =
is more information on Doppler corrections and ham radio aboard the ISS =
at: http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2006/01/13/5/?nc=3D1

I'll be out with the kids watching the pass, radio in hand--just in case.

Wes Edens
K7EDE

>>> saguaroastro@xxxxxxx 01/14/06 10:36 PM >>>
I use a freeware program called Satscape by Scott Hather of the UK. It has =
3-D view which shows the satellites and their track (customizable for how
far in the future you want to see) and the cones of visibility. Many more
features as well. Here is the website:

http://www.satscape.co.uk/

Very cool program.=20

Clear Skies