[AZ-Observing] ISS Pass pics

  • From: Don.Hinchliffe@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 05:36:07 +0000

What happens when you give a fool a digital camera? He takes pictures of
Stars and Satellites.
OK. I wanted to take pictures of the shuttle and ISS together. However, I
could not find the cable to connect the camera to the laptop, so I tried to
take several frames by just holding the shutter down.

Well it worked, sort of. I breath, my heart beats, and my hands shake, but
you get the idea.

I took pictures of some object that preceded the shuttle by about 6 minutes
with 1 second exposures, there is a gap towards the end of the set to give
direction. There was a jet passing from left to right at the lower portion
of the frame. The preceding object (the Progress supply ship I think) aimed
right at the tail of Scorpius. Another object in red following and below
that. One more satellite just above and to the right of the Agave Stalk. I
used the 18-55mm lens that came with the XSi camera, zoomed to 55mm.

I got 5 frames of the shuttle at 1/2 second exposures with a 100-300mm zoom
lens, set at 300mm. The shakes are real obvious at this zoom. Again I got
two other objects, one is clearly a satellite in the upper left of the
frame and the other just at the bottom of the frame that I am not sure what
it is.

I got several frames of the station at 1/2 second exposures at 300mm. I
really need to find the cable because the shakes are really too much. You
can see the station fading, it blinked out just outside the frame.

I hope to get some practice making images of satellites with the cable and
computer to try to take more stable images. But at least I tried.

Here is the link to the images: http://www.100valley.com/ISS/

Don